Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Gray Winter's Day - Time to Make Jam

January is usually the month that Seville oranges arrive in local markets and the month 2 years ago that Irv and I traveled to England to learn how to make real British marmalade.  Today we went to Whole Foods to see if they had Sevilles since I want to try and make the Seville Orange Black Pepper Jelly we also made 2 years ago.  Nothing.  The produce guy said they had some but they can't keep them on the shelves they get sold so fast. What?  When did all these Princetonians start making marmalade?  Now I'm on a freaking waiting list to get called when they come in.  Crazy!

So I went home and made a mixed berry jam using some blackberries I had picked in our garden over the summer with some strawberries and raspberries.


The house smelled like summer.  They came out great.  

In the meantime, Nancy has been working on a design for our Hopewell Valley 'Ox' that is due next week to the selection Committee.  Here is a sneak preview - 


Now I have to capture in writing the 'essence' of the design - Summertime in the Hopewell Valley??  Maybe the smell of berry jam will get me inspired.....


No comments:

Post a Comment