Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Making progress under a Hunters Moon

What a spectacular Fall weekend.  This weather has been amazing and excellent for painting.  So many things to write about.  First, the sky.  Since Lewis generally wakes up at 5 am I now find myself walking him outside and noticing how really beautiful the sky is that time of the day-especially on a clear morning with this weekends moon.  Orion is prominent as are all the constellations and it is so quiet except for the occasional car of a neighbor going to work early.  

The tree guys came and trimmed the trees and took away lots of wood.  While they were there, our very British carpenter Richard was there as well 'fixing up' the Doll House as my father calls it.  I realized that as I was talking to the tree guys that we all saw the pile of logs we wanted removed differently.  When I looked at the pile all I saw was messy rotting wood that would attract mice and insects.  The tree guys saw the pile as income.  Richard saw the pile as something to burn in his woodstove.  Both guys could not understand why we would want to get rid of it.  The Goat House (as we are now calling it) looks much cleaner.


I am having a hard time writing this because my hand is so numb from painting but four rooms are done-half of the first flloor.  This is a not so good picture looking from the front door into the newly painted mudroom and into the newly painted kitchen.

Yes that is the house harpoon in the corner.  

Irv and I also decided it was time we actually cook in the kitchen.  We turned on the oven in our brand new stove and there was a buzzing noise so loud we could hardly hear each other talk.  It even continued after we turned the oven off so much so that Irv had to turn the oven off. When I called the Appliance store where we bought it they said 'oh, that's normal' Whatttt?  Oh no I said.  Repair guy coming next week.  Arghh.  

Our laconic furnance guy did not show up last week and Irv is getting nervous as the nights are starting to get colder.  He said he will be here this week-we shall see!  Unfortunately we have no wood stoves (all removed because of none were installed to code), no yet working fireplaces (chimney sweep not coming until Nov and we don't want to fill the house with smoke again), and I got rid of the wood.  Oh well, let's hope he shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment