Sunday, February 26, 2012

3 Guys, One Pan and a Flan


My Dream Flan Pan

Last Saturday two friends of ours Bruce and Jobert came over for dinner to give me advice about launching my vintage kitchenware business.  Bruce and Jobert own Monkey Hill, a furniture business in New Hope PA.  They are both crazy for the Jalapeno Pepper Jelly I make, so I wanted to see if they would like the Seville Orange Pepper Jelly Irv and I made in England (served with English cracker, grilled pork bangers and a strong cheddar cheese).  They liked it (but still not as much as the JPJ!).  Trying to show off my on-again, off-again dessert making skills (I go through a period of having the baking 'yips') I settled on making a Flan (I gave Irv a couple of choices - Vanilla Pot de Creme, Apple Cake with Cinnamon Whipped Cream or Lemon Tarts with an Almond Vanilla Wafer Crust).  He chose the flan, perhaps because of experience he knows I am less likely to have the 'yips' when it comes to custards (or any variation thereof).  I had to take out my Flan Pan - a simple Pyrex dish that I only use for making 'flantastic flans'.  I think it is just supersition but I won't make a Flan in any other dish for fear of failure  - I suppose we all have our cookware quirks.  The picture doesn't do it justice - the Flan was fabulous.


The Flan

1 comment:

  1. That was one wonderful flan. Praise to the chef!

    ReplyDelete